Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Navcon 2007

Ok, Ok. I am at Navcon 2007 and have just conducted a session on web 2.0 and in particular how I subscribe to Blogs using Google Reader. I was talking about Blogfluenza and how every one is blogging and realised I was a Bluker (reading blogs but not commenting or adding to the community). But then again, with my on-going travel there is little free time to blog.

Rather than spend time focusing on the conference, I thought I would reflect on some of my observations.

Firstly the range of knowledge at the conference is again so diverse. We have some of the leaders in the use of new and emerging technologies in our groups, however we also have many who have never heard of Web 2.0.

The most popular themes are blogging, podcasting, RSS feeds, animation and wikis.

There is some reference to some of the newer web 2.0 sites, but not a lot.

Keynote speakers were:
Dr Yoram Harpaz - Beit Berl Teachers College, Isreal
Leigh Blackall - Otago Polytechnic, New Zealand
Dr Adam Lefstein - Oxford University, United Kingdom

One of the interesting delegates I meet at lunch was John Larkin from StJosephs Catholic High School. John is a great fan of Jaiku, a mini blog program with a social messagging feature.

Oh my apologies to Kathy Schrock, as I have used her blog Kaffeeklatsch, as the sample to sign everyone up in my work shop using google reader.

Links to web sites and videos shown in my spotlight and workshops can be found here. Greg's Navcon2k7 Workshops.

1 comment:

john said...

Thank you for the reflection Greg. I have posted some thoughts and images online here.
http://www.larkin.net.au/2007/10/web-20-at-navcon.html
Stay in touch! Best wishes, John Larkin.